I am freelance writer from Brisbane. I combine my passion for life and writing here at Weekend Notes. If you love writing as well, apply to write for Weekend Notes here- live.weekendnotes.com/apply/194183/
Published August 6th 2012
Bucket List of Brisbane - things to do around town
Over the past decade, Brisbane has developed into a bustling city. There are no shortage of festivals, markets and activities to enjoy each weekend. My love for Brisbane has inspired me to collate a fun list of items that everyone visiting/living in Brisbane should experience. I believe that everywhere should have a bucket list - and Brisbane should not be an exception. So here goes:
1. Catch the City Cat from New Farm to South Bank: The views from the City Cat always amaze me. This ride will take you under the Story Bridge, past the city, Kangaroo Point Cliffs and onto South Bank. There is no better way to marvel our beautiful river city then from the river itself.
2. Spend an entire day in South Bank: Visit the State Library of Queensland (always lots of fun free events taking place), enjoy the manmade beach or rock pools on a hot day, the shops, cafes, markets, pack a picnic, cook a BBQ.... the options here are endless!
3. Walk one of the many bush tracks that lead up to the summit of Mt Cootha: everyone is rewarded with the best view of the city from here. Take along a few dollars to treat yourself at the top with your morning coffee.
4. Cycle around the river: this loop will take you past many of Brisbane's wonders - the Botanical Gardens, South Bank, Kangaroo Point cliffs and Riverside. The shorter ride is around 11km, the longer ride out past the University of Queensland and West End is 26km. It's a great/cheap way to spend a morning or afternoon.
6. Brewery tour - XXXX: If you aren't a XXXX drinker- don't be disheartened. There are plenty of other beverages to trial and history to absorb.
7. Have a picnic in New Farm park. On a nice sunny day (winter or summer) this park is enjoyed by many. Lay next too the rose gardens or under the beautiful big sweeping trees and enjoy the views of the lovely Brisbane River.
8. Give a busker a few dollars in the Queen Street Shopping Mall. There is some great talent in the Queen Street Mall when it comes to busking or entertainment. Check there website for upcoming events.