Freelance journo and travel writer living at Kangaroo Point
Published September 24th 2012
How to spend your weekend when you are trying to save money
Doing something fun this weekend doesn't mean that you have to spend a lot of money. Here are a few ideas for free and low budget activities in Brisbane.
1. Play barefoot football in your local park Kick the ball with your friends in a park this weekend, and never mind the rules or your skills - barefoot football it's all about having fun. And it's a great way to improve your fitness too.
2. Have a cooking competition
Everybody likes Master Chef but have you ever thought about organising a fun cook-off with your friends? Have two groups compete against each other - maybe the men against the women? And at the end of the day, you can all enjoy a feast of home-cooked meals.
3. Catch a free movie The State Library of Queensland screens free movies every Sunday afternoon at 2pm. The Brisbane City Council organises free movies in the park from time to time, check out their website for dates and times.
Valley Fiesta, the Brisbane Festival, Carols in the City - There are always free music festivals and concerts on in and around Brisbane. The City Council has an event calendar to keep you up to date.
5. Photo exhibitions at the Powerhouse Love photography? The Powerhouse regularly organises free photo exhibitions and displays the work of Australian and overseas artists.
6. Sunset on the ferry Catch a City Cat from North Quay towards Apollo Road in the late afternoon and have your camera ready as you pass the Story Bridge while the sun sets over the river.
7. Wine and poetry night Still remember those Shakespeare poems you had to recite in high school? Why not buy a few nibbles, red wine and invite your friends to a poetry night at your place. Everybody can recite their favourite poem - or maybe even one of their own creation.