Jack-of-some-trades. Explorer. Content Creator. Marketer. Try-er of some-things. Living in Brisneyland.
Published June 14th 2015
5 must-do school holiday activities this winter
The June/July school holidays are quickly approaching and the last minute rush to find some entertainment for the school-aged little ones is in high demand. We've compiled a list of the 5 must-do school holiday activities in Brisbane this winter.
1. For all the snow and 'Frozen' enthusiasts, visiting Snow4Kids is a must this year. They have two great venues, Southbank Parklands (for the under 8's) and the Brisbane Riverstage for the adults, kids and everyone in between. Whether you enjoy building your own snowman, climbing the snow mountain, or riding down the toboggan slides, children and adults will equally have a great day out!
2. Astro Pete's Astronomy Cafe is a great place to take the kids along to. Every Friday and Saturday evening from 6pm-9pm, Astro Pete and his fellow astronomy enthusiasts bring out their enormous sized telescopes and let the locals do some star and planet gazing to see what's floating in the night sky. This galactic cafe is one not to be missed, and best of all it's FREE!
3. If you plan on taking your kids to see the much anticipated Jurassic World movie, then in the theme of things you must spend a day at the Dinosaur Discovery exhibition at the Queensland Museum, but only if you dare! You will be able to get up close with more than 20 life-size copies of these fascinating creatures that are made to look, feel, sound and move like the real ones did over 145 million years ago!
4. The Wheel of Brisbane for most is one of those iconic landmarks that we keep telling ourselves "one day we will ride on that". These sky blue winters in Brisbane are the perfect time to bring this bucket-list experience to life. A 10-12 minute ride with 360-degree panoramic views sounds like a blissful day in Southbank, followed by a picnic on the grass and a walk by the river, and that calls for a day well spent!
5. Escape the city hustle and take the kids for an explorational trip to one of Australia's finest national parks, Lamington National Park amongst the Gold Coast hinterland. Discover the lush rainforest surroundings, waterfalls, natural flora and fauna, wildlife and see for yourself why it has been honoured as 'World Heritage' status.