I'm a beginning writer with a Brisbane Bucket-list and a desire to see it all and report back.
Published July 6th 2014
Keeping The Romance Alive In Brisbane
1. Start simple, head up to the Mt Cootha lookout and share an ice cream at sunset. Bring a blanket though, because it can be very windy in winter.
2. Grab your bikes and cycle from New Farm Park to Teneriffe. 3. Head to the nearest dessert bar. My favorite is Freestyle, but Max Brenner, San Churro or Cowch are pretty fantastic too. 4. Whether you live on the North Side or the South Side there is an Iceworld Olympic Ice Rink near you. Strap on your skates and give it a go. 5. Throughout the year there are many open-air cinemas in Brisbane. My favorite is the Ben & Jerry's one in Southbank in October and November. Chill out on beanbags with a tub of your favorite flavor. 6. Enjoy a day trip to Mt Tambourine. Whilst there make sure you take in the views, check out the Glowworm cave and those who are not afraid of heights should step out onto the Skywalk high up in the trees. 7. Jump sky high at Bounce Inc.'s indoor trampoline universe.
11. Hold hands and take a stroll through the Paddington thrift, fashion and antique stores. Then stop for lunch at one of the cute cafes that line the street.
12. In September enjoy the swirling colors of the Redcliffe Kitefest.
13. Wrap yourself up maroon, yellow and blue and take public transport to the Gabba to scream on the Lions, during an AFL game.
14. Enjoy an outdoor stroll at Mt Cootha's Botanical Gardens. Make sure you take a picnic blanket and lie together by the lake. Follow up your romantic outing with a trip to the Planetarium on the grounds.
15. Dress down for a bush walk at any of Brisbane's surrounding mountains.
16. Share a cuddle under the various Fireworks throughout the year. Take in the views at Southbank on New Year's Eve, Riverfest or Australia Day.
17. Jump off a waterfall at the Cedar Creek Swimming holes just past Samford. Bring your picnic gear but be aware it's a rocky walk up the creek to find the perfect swimming spot.
18. Hire rollerblades (and knee pads and elbow pad and risk guards) from Riverlife and help each other stay steady whilst you skate around Southbank.
28. Give camping a go… Just don't do what I did and go on the hottest weekend of the year. You don't want it to get that steamy!
29. Perfect your swing at the Oxley Driving Range.
30. For those bookworm couples out there head to Bookfest, a twice-yearly event at the Convention Centre. Grab your next favorite novel and take turns reading chapters to each other over breakfast in bed.
31. Treat yourself to drinks and a movie at the Gold Class Cinemas. Let the comfort engulf you.
32. Pack a body board or a big piece of cardboard in your trunk and drive up to Rainbow beach for some sand tobogganing.
33. Buy a Lush bath bomb, some gorgeous candles and journey up to Maleny Tropical Retreat. The four-poster bed, uninterrupted views and massive spa bath will keep you entertain all weekend.
34. As the end of the year rolls around jump in the car and head off on a Christmas Lighting couple's tour. Use the addresses provided by the newspaper and go on your own sparkly treasure hunt. It's the perfect date to get a kiss under the mistletoe.
35. Take in one of the many musicals at QPAC.
36. Relive your youth by donning the ugly red and white shoes and try to score a strike at one of the many 10 Pin Bowling Alleys around Brisbane.
37. Enjoy a lazy Saturday browsing the stalls at Eumundi Markets. Whilst you're there get massage together or perhaps have your fortunes told to discover whether you are truly meant to be.
38. Give rock-climbing a go. For the beginners head to Urban Climb in West End or Rocksports in the Valley. Those of you with a love of heights and a desire to challenge yourselves climb up the cliff face at Kangaroo Point with Riverlife.
39. Organize a couple's photo shoot with one of the many talented Brisbane Photographers.
40. Cheer on the Roar at Suncorp Stadium.
41. Head to the new Indooroopilly Shopping Centre, withdraw $50 each and see who can find the perfect gift for their other half using ONLY that amount and a specific time limit.
42. Shoot each other… with paint that is, at Skirmish Samford.
43. In August enjoy a day at the EKKA. Take turns at the games down Sideshow Alley and see if you can win a giant teddy bear for one another.
44. Pack a picnic dinner and head up to any of the lookouts on Mt Nebo or Mt Glorious. Between feeding each other cheese and chocolate make sure you look up and spend time staring at the stars.
45. Visit the travelling circus.
46. Climb a tree. Getting older in mandatory, growing up is not. Remember what it is like to be a kid at Newfarm Park.
47. Enjoy a day at the markets. For the foodies I recommend Rocklea Markets on a Saturday. Whilst you're there head across the road and pick up some fresh flowers from the flower market for your partner.
48. Enjoy a cocktail in West End. Or perhaps 2 or 3….
49. Take a weekend trip to Byron Bay. Enjoy your days at the beach swimming and people watching.
50. Beach hop at the Sunshine Coast. Try out Noosa, Coolum and Caloundra.
Beaching Hopping Date
51. Wander hand-in-hand at Underwater World.
52. Using all the photos you MUST take on these dates spend the final date creating your own album to treasure forever.