I am a writer living in Annerley, Brisbane. I write about my suburb and other local spots. If you like my articles please subscribe (just after my name) or 'like' at the end of the post to let me know what else I should write! I love comments too :)
Published September 14th 2014
Help keep this market thriving in its historic surrounds
Since I returned to Brisbane in 2011, I've been really involved with markets having had my own stall at many and even organised some in my home suburb of Annerley in the past. The Boggo Road Markets are actually the closest regular markets to my house and I love them dearly and I would love to see them continue long into the future. Recently I have noticed a few less people attending so I want everyone to know why they are amazing and why they should go.
1. Weekly on a Sunday - not many fresh produce markets in this area are on a Sunday so for 'Saturday workers' and those who like to have Saturday's at home, this is a perfect way to still get your food shopping done at a lovely market.
2. Live music every week - each week there is a great little band as well as a singer/songwriter at the market so you can sit and enjoy your coffee, rosti or crepe in the sun while you listen to some great music.
3. Lots of parking - There is what I like to term the 'dustbowl' where you can park your car and walk only 200m to the markets. There's also street parking on the ring road or you could park a few streets away and walk down on a busy day.
4. Great food for breaky - With options like potato rosti with chilli jam and eggs or crepes with nutella, there is something for everyone here. There are two coffee vans along with the Banneton bakery truck to satisfy everyone's breakfast hunger.
5. Unique Clothing and gifts - There are always a few clothing stalls here which have beautiful flowing women's fashion for really reasonable prices. There are also a few gift and homewares stalls which have lovely handmade items for sale.
Photo Courtesy of Boggo Road Jail
6. Jail Tours - You can take a tour of this historic jail before you start your shopping: 9am, 10am, 11am, 12pm & 1pm
It's a lovely market which I feel doesn't get the love it deserves and I want to see it thriving and busy again. If you don't have anything on this Sunday, pop over and see what they have on offer as it's a nice day out in a cool, historic atmosphere.
Where: Annerley Road, Dutton Park When: Sunday 6am - 1pm