Former Jakarta-based journalist currently living in Australia's surfing capital of Torquay. Freelance writer, translator and Indonesian tutor. Love food, not surfing. I write for WN as a way to get to know my new home (town).
Published February 16th 2016
Image Courtesy of Alex Proimos / Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 Generic
Eating out with children isn't easy, but it's not impossible. Careful planning and finding kids friendly eating places can make family outing more enjoyable. Lucky that in this beautiful town of Torquay, there are plenty options for you to take the kids out when you are holidaying there.
Here is five top kids friendly eating places in Torquay and surrounding area that guarantee everyone is happy.
1. Cafe Moby's on the Esplanade This cafe is basically set up to cater parents with little kids. With a playground in the backyard, this cafe is an obvious choice for family with kids. Mother's group's catch up or grandma's birthday dinner, this cafe will keep meal time enjoyable. Your toddler and young kids will be entertained with sandpit, cubby house and slide as you devour you food while it's hot. btw, its wood fire pizza is a winner for a late afternoon snack or summer time dinner.
2. Bombora's Kiosk on Fisherman's Beach Bombora has a little play area in one corner and it's covered up so be rain or shine, your toddler can have a nice play while you are having coffee catch up with your mates. Located at the beach and just near Torquay's main Elephant Park Playground, this cafe is an easy choice for a little morning outing with kids - babycino after hard morning at the beach building sand castle? Mummy or daddy will find it hard to say no to its refreshing ice coffee too. And oh, don't miss its sausage roll for little snack or light lunch.
3. Growlers Pub on the Esplanade
Kids play area in the front yard and friendly staff to entertain little people, especially when it's not too busy, win me and some friends (with little toddlers) over. Their meal is nice and healthy options available for kids. Sunday session is always busy but it's worth doing especially if your little one like live music. Mine loves to dance to the music in between his sandpit action. When they are bored, the beach is just across the street.
4. The Beach Pub in Jan Juc A play area in the pub, you can't beat that. My 2yo can easily spend all night there if we allow him. Meal is fantastic too and kids (at least mine) do not have to order and can pinched some chips from parents' dishes as the portion in this pub is huge. Its chicken parma is a must try item (they have Parmageddon every Wednesday) and I also like the fresh Thai Beef salad. Only downside is the kitchen doesn't open until 5.30 so bring little nibble for your toddler if they tend to eat early, so you can still enjoy your beer.
5. Soul Fuel in Surf Coast Highway
Outdoor chubby house and little sandpit, kitchenette with plenty of cups and teapots. My kid loves it here and it's a safe haven for brunch/lunch or coffee with other mothers. Foods is fab too, you can order for freshly cooked meals or just grab the mouthwatering sandwich displayed on the counter.