Melbourne is an extraordinary city and offers so much to do, see and experience. This winter, have a ball in Melbourne by seeing, visiting, doing and enjoying one of the following 7 free and fun things in Melbourne.
1. Salsa lessons – Warm yourself up this winter with some funky salsa dance moves. Check out the Stella Maris (Salsa Foundation) centre in Melbourne CBD (600 Little Collins Street) for free salsa lessons. Free Beginners lessons are offered every Wednesday and Thursday and there are no caps on the number of free lessons. So go as many times as you desire and shake it up with the groovy Latin American music. Booking is essential. Pay a trip to their website to learn more about the timetables and the booking procedures. Gather the wolf pack, persuade the better half or hop along just by yourself and have a fabulous time. Meet new people, make new friends, find a date, learn a new skill or just have fun. The options are endless.
2. Movies – The State Library of Victoria has a wonderful line up of free movies, throughout this winter. The Outside-in-cinema program of the State Library offers free film screenings every second Wednesday of the month, with the movies starting at 6:30pm sharp in Experimedia. Deckchairs and comfy couches are available for you to lounge in front of the huge screen, feasting your senses on contemporary documentaries and animated films from all over the world while chewing on a free lolly, courtesy of the State Library. You can also go into the draw to win excellent prizes. Take note that it is permissible to bring your own snacks and non-alcoholic drinks. Have a look at their website for all is that on offer and make bookings for the films that take your fancy. Take yourself or take the entire entourage, there are no restrictions on the number of free tickets.
3. Guided tours – Immerse yourself in the rich history of Melbourne and its remarkable landmarks by partaking in one of the many free guided tours. Take a free tour of the Parliament of Victoria to enlighten yourself about Victoria's glorious past or a free tour of Melbourne's enigmatic laneways or a free tour of the Melbourne Town Hall to illuminate yourself about this majestic architectural creation. Learn about these free and charming tours by reading Top 4 Free Guided Tours in Melbourne.
Top Free Things To Do In Melbourne In Winter 2013: Melbourne CBD (Image taken by Joya D)
4. Public Lectures – Melbourne University hosts a wide array of free public lectures. If you have some free time then why not make yourself comfortable on a nice seat, in a warm lecture theatre, as you immerse yourself in free seminars on gambling, cannabis, social justice, archaeology and the list goes on. Educate yourself about the plethora of free public lectures and make bookings by going to Melbourne University's website.
5. Festivals – Hailed as the city of festivals, Melbourne has much to offer in the way of free festivals. Keep your eyes peeled for free events happening throughout the year. To get you started, become an ardent fan of the Federation Square website which is a gold mine of free events. Also, become a regular at the Weekendnotes website to keep yourself privy to all the free festivals in Melbourne.
7. Markets – Melbourne is home to a diverse range of markets notably, Queen Victoria market, South Melbourne market, Springvale market, Laverton market, Footscray market, Camberwell market and so forth. Entry is absolutely free so if you find yourself doing nothing noteworthy, take a stroll around these markets and have a fun time revelling in the sights and sounds of fresh produce, arts and crafts and so on.
For a truly free experience, try the Friday Free Shop, every Friday from 1-5pm at City Square or the Bentleigh Free shop every Wednesday, 2-5pm at the rotunda in Centre Rd Bentleigh. Clothes, books, Cds, household goods, toys etc, all for free. No money changes hands, no strings attached. Look for us on Facebook.