The ultimate chocolate donut, I'm sure, was served at my school canteen. They were large, soft on the inside with surprisingly crunchy edges and generously coated with rich chocolate icing. Years (decades) have been spent searching for a donut just as good.
These donuts, unfortunately, seem to be extinct and remain only in my memory. However, on the hunt for the perfect chocolate donut, I believe I may have found the next best thing, and some worthy contenders along the way.
Read on for some of my favourite bakeries and let me know what you think, are these the best chocolate donuts in Adelaide?
• Beck's Bakehouse 25 Clarke Street, Port Noarlunga When it comes to bakery goods, Beck's Bakehouse at Port Noarlunga is usually the best. The donuts cost $3.10 and are great. They tend to cover half of the chocolate donut in coloured sprinkles, if you're into that sort of thing then Beck's is the place to go. It is a very popular place, get in early before the chocolate donuts have sold out.
• Clarendon Bakery 81 Main Road, Clarendon I thoroughly enjoy a trip to the Clarendon and always stop in at the Clarendon Bakery. For $2.70 the chocolate donuts here are very good. Even better than the donut is the beautiful, leafy green park across the road. With park benches and plenty of shade, it is a lovely place for a paperbag picnic.
• Meadows Bakery & Tearooms 50 Mawson Road, Meadows My associate Daniel, you may remember him from such articles as Black Kettle Café, Myponga Reservoir and Bracegirdle's at 190 Cafe, insists that Meadows Bakery & Tearooms has the best donuts. His opinion, much like mine, is based on fond childhood memories of the donuts being as big as his head. Whether the donuts got smaller or his head got bigger is an issue of contention and when we visited recently he admitted they weren't quite as he recalls. Still, they are very tasty for only $2.50 and a slice of nostalgia. Plus, the bakery is delightful and definitely worth the trip to Meadows.
• Bakery on O'Connell 44 O'Connell Street, North Adelaide You can feed your face with a donut the size of it at Bakery on O'Connell. The donuts here cost $3.40 and worth every cent as they are enormous as well as delicious. Bakery on O'Connell is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week; it is ready and waiting whenever a donut craving strikes.
• Simon's Bakery 2/347-349 Brighton Road, Hove Finally, the best chocolate donut in Adelaide, and with service just as sweet, is from Simon's Bakery on Brighton Road. At only $2.10 it is also the cheapest. The donut is a decent size, thick and doughy with crisp edges, and covered in delicious chocolate icing.