I am a writer living in Annerley, Brisbane. I write about my suburb and other local spots. If you like my articles please subscribe (just after my name) or 'like' at the end of the post to let me know what else I should write! I love comments too :)
Published November 20th 2014
Get together with friends at your local xmas event
If you're like me, you will want to read this list to find out where there's some laid back shopping and exclusive events in suburban areas so you can avoid the crush of the big shopping centres and chain stores this silly season.
I love the feeling of shopping at small shopping strips on evenings when they aren't usually open or the hubbub of a daytime Fair in a small out-of-the-city area. These events really get me in the mood for Christmas and I always find the most unique and special gifts for my friends and family.
Image Courtesy of Annerley Junction Traders Assoc.
1. Annerley Junction Christmas Fair - I'm a bit biased as this one is in my suburb but it's simply the best event in Brisbane for some casual shopping, Santa spotting and sausage sizzle scoffing. If you live on the Southside, this is the spot for you to find all your gifts while you soak up the festival atmosphere. Saturday 6th Dec, 9am - 1pm, Annerley Junction, Ipswich Road, Annerley
2. Racecourse Road Community Christmas - This fabulous event has been going for donkeys years and just gets better and better each time. With beautiful artworks, red ribbons round the trees on the strip and a raft of fabulous craft markets, delicious foods and carolers to listen to, you'll be humming Christmas tunes and getting into the spirit of the season. Friday 28th Nov, 5pm - 9pm, Racecourse Road, Hamilton
3. Paddington Christmas Festival - Enjoy some late night shopping as local traders open their doors in the cool of the evening for you to browse, buy and chat to other residents. This is a great little initiative which allows workers who normally wouldn't be able to shop in this district during opening hours the chance to get some of the Christmas list ticked off.
Photo Courtesy of Sherwood Festival
4. Sherwood Community Festival One of the longest running community markets, this is the 19th year for the Sherwood event. With great stalls, food and rides, you will want to stay all night with the whole family.
Image Courtesy of Burpengary Christmas Spectacular
5. Burpengary Christmas Spectacular - An X-factor contestant has upped the anti on community Christmas events as Burpengary sets it's sights on a huge family Christmas event. There are great rides and food stalls along with art and crafts to get your gift shopping started.