Carrie Tong studied the Bachelor of Arts (Media and Communications) at the University of Sydney, and is currently seeking employment.
Published August 14th 2011
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
I have a feeling there are some of these people out there. The kind of people who have an urge to see the last Harry Potter film, but who are incredibly insecure as to whether they even can. They are the kind of people who think: no, I can't possibly, I haven't kept up with the film series, I don't remember all the things that have happened in each film. Ergo, I think it is time that someone wrote a summation of everything that is important and that has happened in the Harry Potter films (with the exception of the last one, of course). So for all these poor souls, these articles are dedicated to you.
It turns out Snape was really great at Potions when he was a student at Hogwarts.
Snape also had a secret spell (Sectumsempra) that seems to make people bleed from the inside out. Dumbledore's been secretly going out and finding Voldemort's Horcruxes. Horcrux explanation time. Voldemort found out when he was a student at Hogwarts that a soul could be split every time you murder someone. He found out that with each split of the soul, you could make a Horcrux. He also found out that as long as you have a Horcrux somewhere, you can live forever. Ergo, being someone evil who wants to be immortal, he's been making quite a few of these and scattering them around the place. It's hard to destroy them too. Ergo, Dumbledore's blackened hand. Dumbledore requests Harry's help for one of these Horcrux-destroying missions. There's poison, great swirls of fire, and zombie-like things in this really intense section of the film. At the end of this mission, Dumbledore dies at the hand of Snape. He falls from the Astronomy Tower to his death. All is sad. Students and teachers alike show their grief and love for this wonderful man.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Harry, Ron and Hermione decide to skip school for an extended period and go searching for Voldemort's Horcruxes. They succeed in finding a locket, but they can't destroy it. Ron gets unnecessarily jealous of Harry and Hermione's cooperation and leaves them in ultra-mopey style.
- Harry and Hermione have an awkward dance.
- A mysterious Patronus leads Harry to an icy lake, where he sees the Sword of Godric Gryffindor lying at the bottom. Being really smart, he gets stuck underneath the ice. Ron unexpectedly and heroically comes to the rescue, and gets both Harry and the sword out of the lake. Ron destroys the locket with the sword.
- Harry, Ron and Hermione get captured and are taken to Malfoy Manor, the house of the Malfoys. But Hermione chucks a spell on Harry's face at the last minute so the bad guys can't tell if he's an ugly dude, or Harry with an ugly-face-spell put on him.
- Many things happen at Malfoy Manor. Most notably, Dobby comes to the rescue and helps them out, and they all manage to escape (all being Harry and Ron and Hermione and also Luna Lovegood and a goblin from Gringotts). Luna and the goblin were also prisoners there.
- Dobby dies because of a dagger thrown by Bellatrix.