I'm a freelance writer who lives on the Bellarine Peninsula. I enjoy finding new things to see and do in the beautiful area that I live in. I'm also a booklover- see my reviews at acomfychair.com/profile/52/
Published May 20th 2012
Bananas are one of those fruits that can be used in so many recipes- you can use them in cakes, breads, fruit salads, baby food, or even freeze them with lemon to make tasty cold treats for summer.
One of my favourite recipes involving bananas (besides dipping them in melted chocolate, of course) is banana choc chip muffins, which are not only easy to make, but delicious too. They're perfect as a (relatively) healthy snack, taste amazing, and are a great way to use up those old bananas that are starting to go soft and brown.
2-3 small soft ripe bananas cup (125g) soft margarine 1/3 cup (75g) caster sugar 1 tablespoon milk 2 medium eggs 1 1//2 cups (225g) self-raising flour cup chocolate chips (you can use milk, white or dark chocolate but I think that milk chocolate goes best with the flavour of bananas).
1. Preheat the oven at 180║C. Place patty cases into a muffin tray so that the finished muffins are easy to remove, and they look pretty when you serve them.
2. Peel the bananas and put them into a large mixing bowl.
3. Mash the bananas up, and then add the margarine, caster sugar, milk and eggs.
4. Sift the self-raising flour and add it to the other ingredients in the mixing bowl.
5. Stir the mixture for about two minutes, until it has a smooth texture.
6. Add the chocolate chips, and mix them into the batter.
7. Spoon the mixture into the patty cases, making sure that the batter is evenly distributed.
8. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the muffins are golden brown and firm to the touch.
9. Take the muffins out of the tray and place on a cooling rack. This recipe makes about 12 standard-sized muffins.
These muffins don't really need anything on them (like icing, for example) because the chocolate chips make them really sweet. However, you can dust a little bit of icing sugar over them if you wish, to make them look more gourmet.
Your kitchen will smell amazing as these muffins cook- the banana and choc chip aroma will make you want to eat them as soon as they're out of the oven!