Based at beautiful Lake Wendouree in Ballarat, there will be plenty of free activities for the whole family. Some of the things to enjoy on the day will include:
* Help stock Lake Wendouree by releasing live trout.
* Take a free trout hatchery tour at the Ballarat Fish Acclimatisation Society. Tours will be held throughout the day.
* Fishing tuition for kids. Experts will be on hand to teach kids how to fish for trout. Bait and tackle will be provided.
* Talk with fishing experts about the basics of fishing for trout and redfin.
* Cooking demonstrations – you'll be cooking fish like an expert in no time, with plenty of samples on offer.
* Fly fishing demonstrations.
* Prize draws and raffles drawn regularly throughout the day.
* For the kids there will be a jumping castle, face painting and photo booth.
The trout fishing season in Victorian rivers opens at midnight on Friday 31 August 2018.
Ballarat is just an hour and 15 minutes west of Melbourne, approximately 110km along the Western Freeway if you're driving. Trains direct from Melbourne's Southern Cross station, take around 90 minutes on the direct V/Line train and drop you off right in the centre of town.
Click here for more information on visiting Ballarat.