As the season slowly changes and the sting of summer subsides, the Adelaide Showground has a calendar packed with exciting activities, markets and festivals to ensure your weekends are entertaining and interesting. Here is just a sample of some of the events happening at the Adelaide Showground during autumn 2013. For a full listing and further information, please see the Adelaide Event & Exhibition Centre website.
• Adelaide Showground Farmers' Market Every Sunday, 9am-1pm
Support local growers and get your fresh produce straight from the farm. During autumn, the bustling Adelaide Showground Farmers' Market will be held every Sunday morning, with the exception of Easter Sunday, and entry is free.
Stocking up at the Adelaide Showground Farmers' Market
• Mathilda's Market Sunday March 3 & Sunday May 19, 9am-1pm It is only the best for your little one at Mathilda's Market. With free entry, there are a range of stalls that sell quality, stylish merchandise for babies, toddlers and children. Find clothing, craft, toys, photography and more from some of the state's finest retailers.
• Oz Comic-Con Saturday March 16 & Sunday March 17, 9am-6pm
Meet Richard Dean Anderson, Patricia Quinn, William Shatner and many more popular performers at Oz Comic-Con. It is a busy weekend full of celebrities, collectibles and cosplay from the world of film, television, gaming and comics. Oz Comic-Con one day general admission tickets cost $20 and are available from Ticketmaster.
• Roller Derby Bout 1: Saturday April 6, Salty Dolls v Road Train Rollers Bout 2: Saturday April 27, Wild Hearses v Mile Die Club Bout 3: Sunday May 19, Road Train Rollers v Wild Hearses Get your skates on and see some of the toughest athletes in Adelaide battle it out during the 2013 Adelaide Roller Derby season. Tickets cost $10 from Oztix, or can be purchased at the door for $15.
• Animal Expo Friday April 19, Saturday April 20 & Sunday April 21, 10am-5pm
Join Dr Harry Brown at the Animal Expo and see all sorts of cute, cuddly and creepy, crawly critters. Get advice and purchase treats for your pets at home. Tickets cost $10 for adults, children are free, and also allow entry to the Sunday Mail Home Living Expo.
• Sunday Mail Home Living Expo Friday April 19, Saturday April 20 & Sunday April 21, 10am-5pm For the latest and greatest in home renovating, decorating, entertaining and gardening, don't miss the Sunday Mail Home Living Expo. There will be demonstrations and seminars to teach you a trick or two. Foodies will enjoy the Food, Wine & Cooking area with Ed Halmagyi from Better Homes & Gardens. Tickets cost $10 for adults, children are free, and also allow entry to the Animal Expo.
• April Gift & Craft Fair Friday April 19, Saturday April 20 & Sunday April 21, 10am-5pm Grab yourself a bargain, or purchase a gift for a friend, at the April Gift & Craft Fair. Entry is free and there will be thousands of products to choose from, such as clothes, jewellery, skincare, garden ornaments, paintings, pictures, scrapbooking and much more.
• Bowerbird Bazaar Friday May 3, 4-9pm, Saturday May 4 & Sunday May 5, 10am-5pm
The Bowerbird Bazaar is a showcase of design based merchandise from local and interstate designers. Indulge in some retail therapy, participate in demonstrations and workshops, and enjoy gourmet food and groovy music at the Bowerbird Bazaar. All this for only a $2 entry fee (children free).
• Cancer Council Relay For Life Saturday May 4 until Sunday May 5
Get fit, have fun and join the fight against cancer in the Relay For Life. The overnight relay challenge celebrates cancer survivors, and honours lives lost, in ceremonies throughout the event. There will be food and drink stalls, entertainment and activities, like Zumba Fitness with KheShan, to keep you going. Register your team at the Relay For Life website.
Relay For Life photo courtesy of Zumba Fitness with KheShan Facebook page
• Adelaide Careers & Employment Expo Friday May 17, 9am-4pm & Saturday May 18, 10am-4pm
If you're looking for employment, considering a change of career or evaluating your options, put the Careers & Employment Expo in your diary. With free entry, take the opportunity to speak with important employers and educators at South Australia's biggest career related exhibition.