Melbourne is host to many events and expos all year round. A wonderful array of events and festivals await you in the month of August.
1. Melbourne Art Fair – August will kick off with the Melbourne Art Fair. Held from 1-5 August 2012, the Melbourne Art Fair 2012 is an exciting week of exhibitions of art from all parts of the world. It will feature more than 70 selected galleries both from within Australia and outside Australia. Be prepared to be wooed and swept off your feet by some exquisite art and talents. The program will include the Melbourne Art Foundation Artist Commission; Project Rooms featuring emerging and independent artists and art spaces; National and International Collector Programs; public Lectures and Forums; an Education Program; a private VIP lounge; Guided Tours and Travel and Accommodation Packages. The Fair will be hosted by the World Heritage listed Royal Exhibition Building. Find out more about the program and the various events on their website.
2. Melbourne Writers Festival- The Melbourne Writers Festival will commence on the 23 August 2012 and will finish on the 2 September 2012. This festival has been designed to ignite your intellect and entice your imagination. A meeting ground of over 300 writers from all around the globe, this festival will be a rich blend of interviews of writers, literary banquets, debates, film screening, concerts and workshops. Highly acclaimed and widely popular writers will grace the ground of Melbourne giving us opportunities to meet and greet authors from varied backgrounds. This festival will be held in Federation Square and various other venues in Melbourne. Find out more in their website.
3. Melbourne International Film Festival – The Melbourne International Film Festival (MIFF) is held annually to showcase the best in contemporary cinema all around the world. MIFF promotes various Australian made movies and films and hosts many celebratory world premieres of local films. From 2 August 2012 until 19 August 2012 MIFF will please your eyes and appeal to your senses with myriads of movies and cinematical endeavours and creations. Check out their website for more information on venues, tickets, programs and more.
4. Melbourne Day – This August Melbourne will be celebrating its 177th Birthday. Melbourne Day is the day to celebrate all that makes Melbourne what it is, the most liveable city in the world! On 30 August 2012 the Piazza and Promenade in Waterfront City will organise a number of free events from 10 am to 2 pm on the Main Stage. Take part in the festivities and have a wonderful time with friends and family on this auspicious day. Head to the Melbourne Day website to learn more about the Festival of events leading to the Melbourne Day celebrations.
5. AICE Israeli Film Festival - The AICE Israeli Film Festival will be held in the month of August. Sponsored and supported by the Palace Cinemas and the Australia Israel Cultural Exchange, this festival is aimed at screening some of the best Israeli films from the last twelve months. Festival dates are 28 August 2012 to 9 September 2012. The exciting selection of movies are bound to leave you awed and inspired. Visit their website for a comprehensive list of movies, events and programs.