The Art in Adelaide's Tunnels

The Art in Adelaide's Tunnels

Posted 2013-08-16 by Dave Walshfollow
[SECTION][/SECTION]

As Adelaide's rivers and creeks meander from the hills down to the sea, they undergo a transformation along the way. Starting life as a clear bubbling stream flowing over mossy rocks in a natural green setting, as it reaches the urban areas a creek will often be channelled into concrete culverts and channels. While in the metropolitan area it picks up rubbish and silt before frequently disappearing into underground stormwater tunnels to reach the sea.

These tunnels often have an attraction for the urban explorer, and become a magnet for people interested in street art and graffiti. The entrance to one popular place (I will call it the Northern Art Tunnel) can be found in a suburban park near Adelaide.

Of course the northern suburbs are not the only place art can be found in a tunnel. Earlier this year Artsake Productions in conjunction with Fascination Street held an art exhibition in historic tunnels long hidden under the old Treasury building in Adelaide.

Even south of Adelaide it is not hard to find a tunnel filled with work from an eclectic mix of graffiti artists. Sometimes the tunnels are not fully covered over by concrete, rather by overhanging trees or bamboo plants - even buildings occasionally squat across the waterways.

If you decide to explore any of these (and I'm not suggesting that you do), then BE SAFE. Clearly the middle of winter is a bad time to be entering a stormwater drain, when a sudden shower of rain can change water levels and speed dramatically!

Other precautions to take include wearing non slip soled shoes, carrying a torch and mobile phone, and ideally explore with someone else.

Having said that, let's take a closer look at what Adelaide tunnels have to offer for people who appreciate art.

[SECTION]Northern Art Tunnel[/SECTION]

This tunnel is probably the best known in Adelaide, and boasts an impressive collection of street art.

A children's playground and picnic area lie a minute's walk away. But at odd times of the day, young people walk from their cars and disappear in this little park.

It took me a while to be curious enough to watch where they went, and on seeing them enter the tunnel I wondered whether people went there to take drugs.

One day after a guy had returned to his car, I went down to take a look. I walked quite a way, and the walls were thick with graffiti the whole length.

In some places art blends colourfully in harmony with nature.

While many works are messages in stylised script, not all are.

It seems that an artist who has earned respect is not drawn over, such as this painting from 2010.

The artists even (largely) clean up after themselves - I found one sack hanging to collect rubbish.

At some places in the tunnel it seemed that the art was a work in progress.

I thought the graffiti standard was high, and enjoyed walking the tunnel gallery.

I finally reached the end of the line for me. I had no torch to see my way - but the art went on!

[SECTION]The Tunnels Exhibition[/SECTION]

The old Adelaide Treasury building houses other well known tunnels, although they are now thought to be linked basements rather than actual tunnels. Now re-purposed as the Adina Apartment Hotel , occasional open days are held where people can view the tunnels.

The Tunnels Exhibition was a popular art exhibition held in the Treasury tunnels during May 2013, showcasing work by emerging artists.

Visitors were able to freely explore the tunnels and see them transformed into an innovative underground gallery space.

The unearthly atmosphere in the Treasury tunnels was enhanced and complemented by the exhibition.

Decorations in the Treasury tunnels helped create an unusual ambience.

The Treasury tunnels were so successful as an art venue they will be host to high-tech storytelling at next year's Adelaide Fringe too. For more information, click here .

[SECTION]Southern Drains[/SECTION]

South of Adelaide is a hidden network of drains that has attracted much graffiti and tagging from local street artists. I stumbled across these tunnels while doing some urban exploration near a disused Scout hall .

Access to the drains is easily accessible from a popular local park and skate facility, but camouflaged by foliage and undergrowth. The drains start as a rocky open area, then the walls become progressively higher and at times are covered over by buildings or heavy plant growth.

I soon found that people come here from all over Adelaide, after I chatted to an artist from the Western suburbs as he discreetly made his way into the drain.

Some of the buildings bordering the drain are rather weird - a mish-mash of construction materials and styles.

In other places the drain is invisible - screened from neighbouring properties. Perhaps one reason it is well patronised.

The artwork here is every bit as colourful as in the Northern Art Tunnel, and some is clearly created by the same people.

It's not known how much new legislation will impact on graffiti artists - penalties have been toughened significantly. But for locations such as these, street art causes no impact or offence to others.

It's a secret playground for many young people in Adelaide, and I hope it survives.

#western_suburbs
#things_to_see
#southern_suburbs
#south_australia
#near_adelaide
#long_weekend
#learn_something
#guides
#greater_adelaide
#fun_things_to_do
#free
#eastern_suburbs