Hi :) I'm Katie...
South London wanderer and general adventurer. Follow me @Weekend_Notes
Published March 23rd 2013
My all-time favourite when hankering for a quick and tasty treat and perfect for Easter Sunday too. It is so quick, so easy and so inexpensive! Trust me it takes a matter of minutes and tastes better than it looks. Is your mouth watering yet?
300g plain flour 175g brown sugar 200g unsalted butter
For the filling: 450g/4 or 5 apples (my favourite are Cox) 50g brown sugar 2 tbsp of plain flour
A pinch of cinnamon (add to taste)
Preparation – 1. Preheat the oven to 200c/Gas Mark 5 2. For the crumble, mix the flour and sugar adding a knob of butter each time. Until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3. Place the apples, sugar, flour and cinnamon in a large saucepan on a high heat between 10-12 minutes or until apples are slightly softened.
4. Spoon the mixture into an ovenproof dish and sprinkle the crumble on the top.
5. Bake in the oven for 20-30minutes or until the crumble is browned and the fruit is bubbling.
And even easier – My even easier recipe for individual apple crumbles.
1. Cut one apple into small chunks, add a tspn of brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon.
2. Place in an ovenproof mug or ramekin. Microwave for 5 minutes to soften slightl.
3. You can buy great ready-mixed 'cheat' crumble from the supermarket very cheaply. Sprinkle enough to cover the fruit mixture and bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until browned.
Don't forget lashings and lashings of custard and nostalgia!