This unique vegetarian rice salad was created by my sister and has proved to be a hit not just with adults but children as well. Parents can breathe a sigh of relief as kids will readily tuck into this healthy dish which can be presented as a meal on its own or a tasty side dish.
The secret ingredient to this dish is the apple which by now is no longer a secret. It adds a flavour hit of sweetness that counteracts the other flavours of the dish.
The Apple and Crumbed Walnut Rice Salad is simple to make and should cost you somewhere between $10 to $15 for a large bowl full depending on the brand of ingredients you use and where you purchase them from. All the ingredients in the recipe can be purchased from your local supermarket.
Try and get the fruit and vegetables from your local fruiter as it tastes best with fresh produce. For the mayonnaise I like using
the golden soya brand 'Norganic' by Freedom Foods which is gluten free and contains low sugar plus real honey and lemon. It's not to everyone's taste though so make sure you try a bit before stirring it through your rice salad.
INGREDIENTS 1 cup of long grain rice 1 x shallot/spring onion (not the whole bunch, one or two shoots is sufficient) 1 x carrot Handful of baby spinach leaves
punnet cherry tomatoes Lebanese cucumber cup crumbed walnuts
1 x granny smith apple
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons white vinegar
Herbal salt or salt for seasoning
1. Fill a medium sized saucepan with water to ¾ full. Place saucepan on medium heat. When the water is boiling, add rice and turn to a lower heat so rice is simmering. Sprinkle a teaspoon of salt in the water. Cook for 10 minutes.
2. When the rice is cooked, drain and wash with cold water in a strainer. Leave rice draining and put in the fridge.
3. Dice shallots, spinach, cherry tomatoes and cucumber and put in a salad bowl.
4. Peel and grate the carrot and add to salad bowl.
5. Add crumbed walnuts to salad bowl and mix through.
6. Put mayonnaise and vinegar into a separate bowl and stir.
7. Peel and dice the apple into small pieces.
8. Add the diced apple to the mayonnaise and vinegar mixture and stir.
9. Add the apple and mayonnaise mixture to the salad bowl and stir.
10. Combine the rice with the salad mixture and stir through.
11. Season with Herbal salt or salt for taste.