Coming home from school is fun for children, especially because they've been working all day, it's always nice to have something planned for after school apart from homework.
1) Art Time - Set up the table filled with paper, crayons, glue, popsicle sticks, fluffy balls, glitter, and textas and let them go crazy. Get them to draw a picture about their day, something like they liked or if they've had a bad day, get them to draw a picture about how they felt that day.
2) Cook Up A Storm - Get all the ingredients before they get home and set them out on the bench. Get them to cook up a beautiful tasty dessert for after dinner or an after school snack. Fairy bread, banana bread, chocolate chip cookies, anything super easy and kid friendly.
3) Movie Afternoon - Older kids will most likely want to chill out once they get home, hire out a movie or buy a new one you haven't seen and sit down together and watch it.
4) After School Treat - Take the kids out to eat to a fun place like Macdonald's or do something fun like go to Timezone Arcade. Make it a habit every 2 weeks, preferably on a Friday as it'll be easier because it's the start of the weekend.
5) Surprise Visit - Plan a surprise visit, either for someone coming over to your house or you going to someone else's house. It can lift the kids moods easily, for example tell the kids that Grandpa and Grandma are coming over, or you're visiting an old friend.