Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
Home > Adelaide > Comments > What's Adelaide's Weirdest Pie Flavour?
Your Reply
Optional Image: (jpg or gif)
Your Email:

Security Image:
rpkkxm
Security Text:
copy text from image above
Highlighted
minimum score: order: subscribe:
Salt and Pepper Squid pie, Hamburger with the Lot pie and a festive Turkey and Cranberry pie are but a few of the culinary experiments conducted by Pik-a-Pie bakery in McLaren Vale. I must say some work better than others but overall they definitely past the test and if it is weird pies you are after then look no further. The pies are relatively cheap and the shop has a great low key country charm to it but the pies aren’t always available so get in before lunch to make sure you don’t go hungry.
The Chicken Tom-Yum Pie at Yankalilla Bakery has a great balance of green curry, lemongrass and spices that isn’t too over powering. Their Chilli Cheese Kranski also rates highly (not a pie though).
The Pie of the Month at Home Grain Bakery in Aldinga is an absolute winner. A bit pricey at over $5 but well worth it as they source local ingredients to showcase the wide range of food in the Fleurieu area. They often create a few oddities but the Moroccan Lamb Pie with the option of the addition of yogurt sauce rather than tomato was a winner over January.
Next door to Aldinga Bakery at Aldinga Seafood you can purchase all manner of seafood based pies but not being a big fan of fish, scallops, prawns and mussels I haven’t given them a try but I hear that they are decent.
The Parmi Pie at Bradleys Bakery in Noarlunga Downs is hard to pass up with pieces of beef schnitzel in a tomato sauce base inside and cheese added on top.
Broccoli and Cauliflower pie with a white cheese sauce base at Mt Compass Bakery is good for the vego’s out there and is just like grandma use to make alongside the Sunday roast……just in a pie.
by super (score: 0|7) 3764 days ago
by Dave Walsh (score: 4), 3764 days ago
Well you must be Adelaide's Queen of the Pies with that encyclopaedic knowledge of exotic pies from the Far South!

Thanks for that - it's a pity my appetite isn't up to trying them all as there are some beauties there.

Clearly I hang out in the wrong parts of Adelaide