Last minute idea for a fun, educational holiday activity
Over the two weeks of the April school holidays the Adelaide Botanic Gardens will be running their School Holiday Program. The program is for school aged children and provides a great opportunity to get outdoors, meet new friends, and learn about plants.
• Painted Pots – Bulbs(Wednesday April 24, anytime between 11.30am and 3pm)
Select your own pot (prices $6 and up), then paint it and plant a bulb inside (included in the cost of the pot). Whilst doing this learn about bulbs and why they are suited to a Mediterranean climate. Parental supervision required. Allow 30 mins to complete the activity, located on Plane Tree Lawn next to SA Water Mediterranean Garden.
• Fake Fossils (Monday April 15, 12.30pm and Friday April 26, 10am) Beginning at the Visitor Centre on the Schomburgk Pavilion, take a tour through the botanic gardens and learn about the prehistoric plants. You also get to make your own fake fossils to take home. Cost is $15 per child and bookings are essential.
• Minibeast Gardening(Monday April 15, 3pm and Monday April 22, 10am) Learn how to attract minibeasts to your garden, and how they help with pollinating and recycling. You also get to meet different minibeasts. Session begins at the Visitor Centre on the Schomburgk Pavilion, bookings essential.
• Beautiful Gardens Lights(Thursday April 18, 10am and Monday April 22, 12.30pm) Design and create a beautiful candle holder to take home. 8 years and older only, bookings essential, located at the Visitor Centre, Schomburgk Pavilion.
• Bush Survival: Making Fire, Making Glue (Tuesday April 16, 10am and Tuesday April 23, 10am) A free session where you can learn bush survival techniques from indigenous guides. Discover how you can use native Australian plants to help save your life, and how Aborginal people make fire using what they find in the Australian bushland. Meet at Schomburgk Pavilion, no bookings needed.
You can pay for any sessions in advance by contacting the botanic gardens on 8222 9311. Once you have made your booking, fill out the Consent Form, and make sure that you bring it with you on the day of your class.
For more information, and a copy of the consent form, visit