You might think I am jumping the gun by writing this article, but after Thursday's magnificent storm and pouring rain, it got my juices wet for a bit of rainy day fun! April is just around the corner and with it comes its beautiful Autumn showers and the official end to the hazy summer heat.
We all look forward to this break in the weather, but let's face it, when you have kids the novelty of cuddling on the couch with a good movie and hot chocolate lasts about as long as the hot chocolate (approximately 21.3 seconds). So what is there to do in Perth on those raining days? Plenty! Whether you have kids or not, here are 5 things that are a MUST this rainy season.
1. The WA State Library has a whole floor dedicated to entertain children and let parents sit back in the comfortable surrounds and enjoy the quiet, well, as quiet as children can play. Downstairs is a well stocked cafe with some delicious treats and you can't walk past the gift shop without loading up on budget secondhand books ($1 kids books are the best!). There are normally exhibitions running for the 'kid free', free internet and beautiful big windows to sit and watch the rain trickle down.
2. Museum of WA is the best budget entertainment around. Beautiful old stone walls surround an impressive collection of stuffed animals, insects and ancient artefacts. Children and adults alike can appreciate the compact simplicity of this little treasure in the heart of the city. And all this for a gold coin donation.
3. Art Gallery of WA is open every day of the week and even though it displays some wonderful exhibitions through the year, the gallery itself has some interesting pieces to ponder without costing you a cent. Surprisingly, children love to run through the artwork, stopping at different pieces as they go. Tie a visit to the Gallery with a trip to the museum and library and your morning will whizz by.
4. Reconnect with your inner child and invest in some gumboots and a raincoat. There is NOTHING more fun then walking in the rain and watching the world around you transform as the droplets of rain hit your face, but not your clothes. Jump in puddles, go hunting for snails or do a Gene Kellyesque tap dance - just have fun!
5. Your local pool maybe packed during the summer months but winter is a lot quieter and just as fun. The warm indoor pools mean your out of the rain but still wet through. What's the best part? Spoil yourself with a large box of steaming hot crispy chips from the canteen (every pool has one) with extra salt. Somehow they always taste better when your wrapped in a towel and starving after a big swim. Oh, and you can't beat the afternoon nap that follows too.
So when the heavens open and your cosy couch isn't an option, you may find that Perth isn't as drab and dreary as you may think.
Thank you for your article. Just a note though, Art Gallery of WA closed every Tuesday (have been caught out on this myself with 8 kids on a train trip with me) and also Good Friday, ANZAC day and Christmas Day.