1. Go Shopping – Go shopping and immerse yourself in the myriad of options available in Melbourne CBD to gratify your shopping urges. A healthy dose of retail therapy is a great way to start off or end the much-awaited weekend.
You can check out the QV shopping centre, Melbourne Central shopping centre, former DFO at Southern Cross station, a wide range of boutiques on Swanston Street, just to name a few. Take your pick and spend a day or evening exploring and experimenting with the ultimate shopping destination, otherwise known as Melbourne CBD.
2. Enjoy Sushi by the Yarra – Whether it is the morning or the evening you can always lazy away sitting on the banks of Yarra. Select one of the many comfy benches and engross yourself in observing your surroundings.
In the morning, watch the hustle and bustle of city life as everyone rushes towards their destination and absorb yourself in the music of one of the many buskers. Check out the occasional boats and kayaks that sail on the Yarra and muse over the many cruises you can take on the Yarra. At night gaze up at the starlit sky and enjoy the riveting skyline as the dazzling city lights vainly attempt to compete with the stars and the moon.
Buy some sushi, make yourself comfortable and as you savour each mouthful with some hot wasabi and soya sauce look around and be wooed by the endearing sights and smells of the city we call home.
3. Explore the Museums and Galleries – Melbourne is home to an array of museums and galleries. Why not take a trip to the Immigration Museum and learn about our roots, visit Melbourne Museum and educate yourself about world, history and universe or gallop to the Scienceworks Museum and engross yourself in the wonders of science.
4. Explore the Laneways – Take a long walk and weave your way through the various laneways and alleyways of Melbourne. Melbourne's laneways uncover hidden gems and a charming intimate atmosphere. You will be surprised by what you will discover.
Get comfortable in one of the hidden cafes and sip on some delicious hot chocolates or coffee. Enter one of the many exquisite restaurants and sample some delectable food as you enjoy awe-inspiring decors.
Try a new cuisine or just experiment with a new pub or simply find some handy shortcuts as you take enjoyable long walks, discovering Melbourne's extensive laneways.
5. Explore Chinatown – While you are doing the above (No. 4), don't forget to take a detour through the Little Bourke Street to explore Chinatown.
The rich variety of restaurants in the Chinatown will leave you lost for options. Chinese to Malaysian, Vietnamese to Thai, Chinatown is the place to be to infuse your tastebuds with delicious Asian food.
6. Visit the Melbourne Convention Centre – Nestled next to the Crown Casino, is the enormous and hard to miss the Melbourne Convention Centre (MCC). The MCC is host to numerous events, festivals and expos throughout the year.
There is always something happening in the MCC and especially during weekends the place is abuzz with events and people. Therefore, if you are in the mood to try something different, learn something new or just feeling as curious as a cat take the plunge and enter the MCC for a whole new experience.
Most expos will charge for entry hence, it is wise to check their website beforehand to not to be caught off guard.
7. Take a Train Ride – Hop on a train and get off at one of the many suburbs of Melbourne at random. Be adventurous, explore a new place, try some new food and lazy away your weekend in an unknown place. Expect the unexpected and see the unseen while you venture into the unknown as you jump off at a random train station.