The other excuse for not being creative is "I'm not artistic".
Being an artist has very little to do with creativity. When you're a child and you show your painting to Mum, are you worried about whether it's a work of art? Or that society has given their stamp of approval?
Creativity should always be for yourself, for the sheer joy of expressing and every human being has something to express.
Living a creative life doesn't even have to be about painting, singing, writing, or sculpting. One can be creative in the way they choose to live.
I have listed 5 ways to living a more creative life. Feel free to offer suggestions you may have.
1. Instead of sending an email to a close friend, write them a letter. There is something ancient and mystical about the art of letter writing and who doesn't like receiving letters? They sure beat electricity bills!
2. If you're a girl and you like baths, add rose petals or bubbles or milk to the water, all girls deserve to feel like goddesses. Candles and a glass of wine don't go astray either.
3. If you like writing, how about buying some new pens or stationary? If dressmaking is your style, perhaps some new materials to inspire your next creation? If you consider yourself an uncreative person generally, how about going into a shop and buying something you would never consider buying because it's too expensive or even silly? Be the child in the candy store, looking at everything with wonder. Remember, back then you were curious of everything.
4. Grocery shopping: I wish I loved cooking, I wish I was a domestic goddess but I just wasn't built that way. Saying that, I am a thrill seeker when it comes to different foods. Buy something you've never tried, cook something you've never cooked. Routine meals dull one's life and bore the tastebuds.
5. Write a list of 5 things you could do to become a more creative person. It could be something as small as moving a piece of furniture in your living room, putting a photo you've always adored in a picture frame or getting fluffy seat covers for your car.
Creativity doesn't have to cost money nor do you have to be an artist.
Ignore the naysayers. Go and be creative!
"Creativity is contagious, pass it on." ~ Albert Einstein~
I like the list of things to do that could make you more creative. I find going and seeing or experiencing art or other peoples amazing creativity can spark the imagination. When I was a student, I found standing on my head helped my concertration and conceptualization skills.