... a dreamer, freelance writer, naturopath, mother & former social work student based in the Blue Mountains. Continue the journey with me- Soul Home: https://www.instagram.com/the_soul_home/thewildemoon: https://www.instagram.com/thewildemoon/
Published April 22nd 2015
Switching off the box could change your life
Drawing cats - one option for something else to do instead of watching the box.
Does the question: "what do you want to do tonight?" fill you with angst and indecision? Does the TV fill the gap in your night?
It's almost automatic to reach for the remote and unwind before the screen after a day at work. Australian adults spend approximately 13 hours a week watching TV according to data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics – not exactly a paltry figure. And, with top entertainment like Game of Thrones there for the offering, who can blame us.
Historical high achievers like Shakespeare and Mozart were probably aided by the fact the 'box' and 'Game of Thrones' wasn't around in their day. While most of us merely want to die on the lounge and break out the chocolate after work and dinner are done with, are we also lacking in imagination when it comes to our nightly activities?
While TV is fun and relaxing (unless you're watching the Walking Dead or something else scary), it doesn't progress us, our lives, or those of others'. Judgements aside, it's good to spice things up and break the routine.
If like me you are sometimes stuck for ideas for something to do at night, take inspiration from this list. Start your own list.
1. Put together a home movie or slideshow of your photographs 2. Invite some friends over for board games
3. Go to trivia 4. Learn an instrument 5. Play music / sing
6. Work on your blog
9. Talk to your partner / child / flatmate
10. Draw / paint
12. Chat to someone on the phone or skype
13. Have a long, slow, romantic dinner
14. Go for a night drive and sing songs in the car
15. Read up on a topic you want to learn more about
16. Do a guided meditation on You Tube
17. Play with your pet
18. Visit a friend
19. Join a group
20. Plan your garden, house, week, meals, shopping, a holiday or any other goal.
22. Sit around a fire and tell stories
23. Give a relaxing massage or foot rub
24. Pamper yourself
25. Connect with friends on social media