Travel Books to Transport You - Photo by Phoebe Hackett
"Books are a uniquely portable magic." - Stephen King.
Listed in no particular order, are some of my favourite travel books that I have come across over many years. Some are old and some are new, some you will want to re-read the moment you finish them - No matter what, they will transport you across the globe on exciting adventures to experience places and cultures. This is a great list for any aspiring travel writers out there too. I hope you find something here you like.
Print this list and keep somewhere handy so you're never too far from your next adventure.
If you prefer movies to books, those that have been made into movies are marked with a *.
1. The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
2. My Family and Other Animals * Gerald Durrell
3. Hotel New Hampshire * John Irving
4. A Moveable Feast - Ernest Hemingway
5. Life on the Mississippi * Mark Twain
Life on the Mississippi - Mark Twain - Photo by Phoebe Hackett
6. A Passage to India * E. M. Forster
7. Journey to Ixtlan, The Lessons of Don Juan Carlos Castaneda
8. The Plumed Serpent D. H. Lawrence
9. Eat, Pray Love * Elizabeth Gilbert
10. The Beekeeper of Aleppo Christy Lefteri
The Beekeeper of Aleppo - Image - Booktopia.com.au
11. A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush Eric Newby
12. Down Under Travels in a Sunburned Country - Bill Bryson
13. Top Deck Daze Bill James
14. Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance Robert M. Pirsig
15. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn * Mark Twain
16. Mosquito Coast * Paul Theroux
The Mosquito Coast - Image - booktopia.com.au
17. Into the Wild * Jon Krakauer
18. Great Expectations * Charles Dickens
19. An Innocent Abroad Lonely Planet
An Innocent Abroad by Lonely Planet - Photo by Phoebe Hackett
Raid your bookshelves for travel books at home and see what you already have to read - You may be surprised!
Post books to your family and friends for a fun book swap activity.
If you prefer to buy your books online, or can't get out to the bookstores The Book Depository is great because they have free delivery worldwide to hundreds of countries. Another good online retailer is Booktopia
A great reading app is Goodreads. You can connect with friends, see what they're reading, create a reading challenge, mark off books you've read, list the books you are currently reading or want to read, write reviews and discover what to read next.
Book exchanges & secondhand bookstores are great value. It's where I find most of my books. My favourite is Plaza Book & Music Exchange in Campbelltown, South West Sydney - They are always getting fresh titles in, so you'll find something new each visit. If you can't get there, you can ask them to put some titles aside for you for later.