Here are ten TV series to watch during isolation as a way of escaping reality, that the whole family will want to binge-watch. If comedy, the idyllic French Riviera, a reality cooking show or the supernatural is your jam, then grab some takeaway, wine and a blanket and make it an event.
The Emmy and Golden Globe winning TV show won't disappoint:image courtesy Facebook
1. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel is one to check out during isolation, as it has won a swag of awards including Golden Globes and Emmys since 2018. This whip-sharp comedy set in New York City in the 1950s covers everything from first-wave feminist struggles to the live comedy circuit, that Joan Rivers is rumoured to have practised her craft, before landing on TV. This series is worth checking out, just for the lead character Miriam (Midge) Maisel's live comedy sketches. In its fourth season, it is available on Amazon to binge-watch.
Oogle at the beautiful scenery of The French Riviera:image courtesy Facebook
2. Riviera is a twisty turning drama series set in the beautiful French Riviera. Starring Julia Stiles of The Bourne series, plays a young widow, who inherits billions of dollars, fine art and much sought after real estate. Playing opposite Julia Styles as her deceased husband throughout the series is the brilliant Aussie actor Anthony LaPaglia and Swedish actress Lena Olin as the bitter and manipulative first wife. This family weaves a vicious web of intrigue, mystery and murder that won't disappoint. Download the first season and watch the second season of this spectacular series on SBS now.
3. The Bold Type is a modern version of a chick fest for any die-hard Gossip Girl and Sex And The City fan. Basically it is your fav Gossip Girl character working in the lush fashion magazine office called Scarlett in New York City. While these young millennials grapple with everything from delivering the perfect green juice to her boss to breast cancer, this is a great series to binge watch as it will definitely lift your spirits.
4. Hardball is a light, child-friendly comedy available on ABC. Newbie Mikey is trying to fit in at a South Western Sydney primary school. The only way that his friends Jerry and Salwa can see him fitting into school, is to win the SASSIE South Western Sydney Handball Competition. An Australian made children's series that is set to be a favourite among the littlies this early Easter break.
5. The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina The Teenage Witch. As its long title suggests, this remake of the original TV series has a slight gothic twist. This TV series stars Australia's own Miranda Otto as Aunt Zelda Spellman, who has some killer outfits and props to help her get into character. Season three is now available along with Season one and two on Netflix. Please be warned - once you start watching, you won't stop!
6. KGB is a hilarious take on fighting crime in the Northern suburbs of Perth. With razor-sharp wit and dry humour, these short episodes will have you hooked and wanting more. Add small bursts of Aussie humour to your day with this witty well-written ABC series.
Check out the brilliant acting of Michelle Williams and Sam Rockwell in this TV drama:image courtesy Facebook
7. Fosse/Verdon is a dramatic look at the highs and lows of the marriage between Oscar-winning director Bob Fosse and Tony award winner and Broadway celebrity Gwen Verdon. With a stellar cast including Sam Rothwell as Bob Fosse and Michelle Williams as Gwen Verdon, it gives you a behind the scenes look at the collaboration between these two artists as they created legendary musicals such as Sweet Charity, Cabaret and Chicago together while remaining married and later as friends. The incredibly talented Michelle Williams is brilliant as the tolerant wife of her philandering husband Bob Fosse and won a Golden Globe for her performance.
8. Better Things created and starring Pamela Adlon from the TV series Californication is Sam, a single mother of three girls, struggling to find work as an actress in Los Angeles. This hilarious series is one you will want to binge-watch all four seasons, with many relatable awkward parental/children situations. Keep a lookout for legendary English actress Celia Imrie as Sam's mother, with guest-starring roles by Lenny Kravitz, Sharon Stone, Julie Bowen from Modern Family and David Duchovny.
Binge watch this supernatural remake of the classic Nancy Drew detective novels:image courtesy Facebook
9. Nancy Drew is a must to watch for anyone who has read the book series. This updated TV series is a great way for some serious mother and daughter bonding since the series stars Party of Five's Scott Wolf as Mr Carson Drew. Grab a takeaway and a blanket as this series will have you on the edge of your seat, with its new supernatural murder mystery element.
Loved Jon Favreau in the movie Chef, then check out his reality cooking show:image courtesy Facebook
10. The Chef Show is a reality cooking show and spin-off of the movie Chef, starring director Jon Favreau. The reality spin-off has two seasons available on Netflix and is ideal for any cooking enthusiast to get their meat hooks into while in isolation. Jon, accompanied by Chef Roy, will cook up their own version of dishes with celebrities such as Gwyneth Paltrow's Iron Man-themed soup – Pepper Pot and Robert Downey Jr appears in the series. Other dishes that feature in the film Chef such as Atlanta Brisket and Cubanos, along with recipes and cooking tips.
Plenty to watch on Netflix and etc. if you have that technology - but what about all those who don't have it. TV stations need to start putting on decent shows for everyone to watch with just the TV - and at this time we need lots of comedy shows and the guidelines for COVID-19 - but not a constant diet of pandemic facts and figures which is becoming boring. May also frighten many people and make people depressed which then becomes another health problem.
We need a diet of funny TV shows!