A freelance writer living in Perth, WA. Not the droid you're looking for.
Published January 30th 2012
Juggling a full time career and taking care of the children, plus all of the many other usual daily errands can take up all of your time and you are constantly stressed out. You never seem to have a minute to yourself. Try to grab a 5 minute break and you can bet the phone will ring and someone will need you to take care of some emergency or other.
Having a bit of time to yourself is very important. Just taking 15 minutes to relax makes all the difference to your day. It can leave you feeling relaxed, revitalised and rejuvenated so try some of these useful relaxation tips.
1. Read a book or magazine. Take the time to just sit and read that book that you have always wanted to read.
2. Paint your nails. Take a few minutes and paint your finger nails and toe nails. You'll be surprised how good you feel.
3. Listen to some music. Turn on your favourite tunes and sing and dance along. Or put on something quieter and just relax and listen.
4. Go for a walk. Stroll in the park and take in the fresh air. Do some simple exercises, stretching, meditation or yoga.
5. Breath. Do some deep breathing exercises. Try sitting outside and listening to the sounds of nature or lie down, close your eyes, relax and really concentrate on your breathing.
6. Laugh. Watch a favourite comedy and laugh away your stress. Remember laughter is the best medicine.
7. Take a warm bath or shower. Add some aromatherapy bath salts and candles to set the mood.
8. Take time out to eat. Don't eat on the run or standing up, eat your meal properly. Take a break and have a soothing drink of herbal tea, hot chocolate or warm milk.
9. Take to friends. Pick up the phone and call a friend or family member and have a good natter. You'll be laughing and relaxed in no time.
10. Have a power nap. Taking a break and having a quick 15 or 20 minute nap can leave you feeling refreshed and ready to go but don't forget to set the alarm.
Next time you are feeling at the end of your tether and stressed out try some of these methods. Or think of your own. Put some variety into your day. Do something different; don't stick to the same old routine, change things around a bit and do something you always want to do but never have the time. Most of all learn to relax a bit more and have a little bit of 'me' time, you'll be better for it.