Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
Home > Perth > Comments > Volunteering Online
Your Reply
Optional Image: (jpg or gif)
Your Email:

Security Image:
hpgtsl
Security Text:
copy text from image above
Highlighted
minimum score: order: subscribe:
Judith - thanks for your article, very informative. I've heard this form of volunteering referred to as "microvolunteering" - the volunteering you can do when you don't have a lot of time. Another great on-line project similar to Gutenberg is the National Library of Australia's Trove Digitization Project - the National Library is digitizing old Australian newspapers - the computerised Optical Character Recognition program does its best, but it needs human eyes to interpret the bits near the creases, or the torn or smudged bits. It's incredibly interesting to read old articles (as you are correcting), literally transporting you back in time - I find it relaxing. You can dip in anywhere (you might decide to only do articles about your home town or suburb), and you can do as much or as little as you like. Being a good speller and having a good general knowledge can be put to good use here, and you feel you are contributing something of value as well as learning things. If you google "Trove" you'll soon find the site, and you can start volunteering instantly.
Thanks again for researching this
Debra
by djnwb (score: 0|3) 4120 days ago
by Judith W (score: 2), 4120 days ago
Hi Debra,
Thank you for the addition. Your description does sound a lot like what I experienced with the Project Gutenberg Distributed Proofreader. I found it a bit addictive actually, and there's also a sense of satisfaction that what we do will be useful for posterity. Let's continue our work! :)
-Judith-