A freelance writer living in Perth, WA. My blog is coming soon. Watch this space!
Published May 13th 2013
You'll be surprised what you can use it for
We all know that Vicks VapoRub is great to rub on your chest when you have a cold, cough or congestion. That famous blue jar can be found in houses all over the world. However, this smelly ointment also has a number of other uses.
1. Headaches. Rub a small amount of Vicks VapoRub on your temples to help relieve headaches.
2. Feet. Rub Vicks VapoRub on the soles of your feet to provide nightime cough relief.
3. Toe Fungus. A home remedy that has been around for years is to dab a little Vicks VapoRub onto your toes and it will kill the fungus.
4. Repel Mosquitoes. Vicks VapoRub is great for keeping mosquitoes away.
5. Aching Muscles. Rub Vicks VapoRub on sore and tired muscles. Apply liberally to the aching area and it will increase circulation and soon give relief.
6. Stop Your Cat from Scratching Furniture. To prevent your cat from scratching hard surfaces around you home, dab the areas with a little Vicks VapoRub. Cats don't like the smell and will stay away from the area.
7. Paper Cuts and Splinters. Dab a small amount of Vicks VapoRub on paper cuts and splinters to help prevent infection and speed up healing time. Be careful though, this might sting.
8. Pet Deterrent. If your cat or dog likes to mark its territory, leave an open jar of Vicks VapoRub in their favourite areas and because they don't like the smell, it will discourage them.
9. Night Time Humidifier. If you have a humidifier that has an aromatherapy compartment, place a little Vicks VapoRub in it. It will circulate the Vicks VapoRub through the air and help you to breathe easily all night long.
10. Cracked Heels. If you suffer from cracked heels, try Vicks VapoRub. It contains essential oils in a petroleum jelly base and will help the cracks to heal.
These are just a few unusual uses for Vicks VapoRub and there are plenty more. Be a bit careful though, when using Vicks VapoRub, especially if you have sensitive skin, just in case you have an adverse reaction.
A little warning, Vicks VapoRub is really only meant to be used to ease nasal and chest congestion, or on sore muscles. Vicks VapoRub contains camphor, which is toxic, you should never ingest it or apply it to delicate areas. Do not put VapoRub by or in your mouth or nostrils, do not put on open wounds or under tight bandages