A freelance writer living in Perth, WA. My blog is coming soon. Watch this space!
Published February 27th 2012
For my one hundredth article, I thought that I should try and tackle a very important issue. Something that plagues thousands of people every year. A difficult decision that everyone battles at some point in their lives. So here we go. My top ten overseas holiday destinations.
Okay, so it is not really a hot-button topic, and there are so many issues out there that are bigger than this, but it is a decision that people have to make, so here goes.
10. America: A beautiful country that is vast and one of the most popular places to go on holiday. There are many tourist attractions, including the Hollywood sign, Mount Rushmore and, popular for families, Disney World. It depends where you go of course, but if you have the time, check out the Statue of Liberty; a colossal statue that was a gift from the French and is now one of the most popular places to visit on holiday. You may also want to visit the Grand Canyon; considered one of the seven natural wonders of the world, it is home to the Grand Canyon National Park. If you are more interested in the fast pace type of lifestyle, then check out Times Square in New York or the Las Vegas Strip in Nevada; full of shops, casinos and places to have a good time, this is an amazing place to enjoy your holiday.
9. Japan: One of the leading countries for technology and science, this busy, hectic country is both beautiful and wonderful. The food and culture are unique and awe-inspiring, as is the history. If you are interested in the history of the place, then there are some of the oldest and most beautiful wooden houses and buildings in the world located on the main island of Japan. If natural beauties are more your thing, then you could head over to Mt. Fuji - a gorgeous mountain that attracts so many people to its location every year. When the cherry blossoms are in full bloom the landscape can literally take your breath away.
8. Africa: An expansive continent, this is a place of natural wonders. Try going on a jungle safari - even in one of their nature reserves. There are so many endangered animals in Africa that are rapidly being made extinct, so you should see them in their natural habitat before it is too late. When you see these majestic creatures you begin to appreciate them and realise how awful it is that these creatures are being made extinct so fast. Even if you do not like animals very much, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity and you will regret it if you miss out.
Saturday, 14th of December @ 10:00am - $35 - 10 places left
40% off for WeekendNotes readers. Coupon code WNCHOC2
If you are in South Africa, and you do not go to Egypt, then you have missed something spectacular. The pyramids are breath-taking and there are so many tours that you can take that help you to appreciate your surroundings.
7. Russia: The architectural delights here are utterly amazing: from cathedrals to historical buildings there are so many sights to behold. If you are travelling there in winter you are in for a treat - as the snow falls on the buildings it looks like one of the classical winter wonderlands. Historically, this place is so rich, and there are so many attractions that are devoted to their colourful history that you could spend an entire holiday, or even a lifetime there and still be dazzled by all the things to do and see here.
6. Europe: Yes, I know that by saying Europe, I am actually casting the net pretty wide with this one, but it is so hard to choose between some of the amazing countries - from Switzerland to Italy that really I would be doing it a great injustice by not casting a wide net. And, most travel agents can do you a package deal that includes many of the countries in Europe, so it is possible to travel to all of the European countries in one holiday. If you are a car enthusiast then you may want to consider travelling through Europe by car - there are so many brilliant roads, with twists, turns and straights, such as Germany's famous autobahn, to travel on, you could spend all holiday in one of the many fantastic European cars.
These countries not only have great modern achievements, but they also have great histories too - some amazing advancements throughout their colourful history and some that other countries would rather forget. Whatever your country's history, there are great monuments to the triumphs held by the countries that will fill up the day so fast.
Greece has some beautiful scenery, great food, and a beautiful language. Historically rich and famous, it is a must see destination in Europe. If you go there, check out the Acropolis of Athens - the size and majesty of this monument is a beautiful and wonderful piece of architecture.
Italy of course, is famous for its food, but the tourist attractions there are just as fantastic - from the Leaning Tower of Pisa to the Colosseum, there are so many things to see. The artwork and the museums are also breathtakingly beautiful and you must check some of them out for any cultural appetite you may have.
Switzerland has some of the most gorgeous scenery around. There are cliffs that overlook mountains and this glacial country is one of the most serene and spectacular places to relax in Europe.
5. France: Yes, I know this is technically part of Europe, but there are so many special reasons to visit France, that it deserves a place on this list of its own. From the Louvre with its amazing collection of art, to the Eiffel Tower, that looks beautiful during the day, and even more spectacular at night, there are so many reasons that Paris is the city of Love. It is continental, chic and the cutting edge for fashion and style. The language is one of the most beautiful and romantic and you can't help but fall in love when you are there, not only with the people but with the country.
4. United Kingdom: Yes, part of Europe again, I know. But England has so many amazing places to visit. Culturally, London is vibrant and hustling with life. Big Ben and the London Eye both stand out even in the big city and there are so many things to do here. Historically you couldn't find a richer place. If you are in the area, then check out Scotland - from the wonderful history to the breathtaking Stonehenge, there is something there for everyone. Ireland has a rich heritage as does Wales - there are so many holidays packed into these isles, that you could travel to the United Kingdom every holiday and still want more.
3. Antarctica: A real winter wonderland that is an amazing place. There are so many sights to see and if you like animals, there are so many gorgeous little penguins that you could see. As the polar ice caps melt, there are going to be less and less chances to visit this place. The majestic and beautiful snowy and icy country at the end of the world is a one of a kind place to see. If you have travelled to every single country in the world, and seen everything, this place is still going to amaze you and make you fall in love.
2. Australia: I may be a little biased, but this is a brilliant place to visit or live. The beaches are magnificent, the people are friendly and helpful. Uluru is awe inspiring, and the Great Barrier Reef is one of the seven natural wonders of the world. You could travel around this great country for your entire holiday or your life and still want more. Perth, in WA, is one of the remotest cities in the world but it is magnificent and fabulous. Australia is a unique country that is a fabulous place to see and while it is rich in history it is also a place that is on the cutting edge of style.
1. The Moon: While this may seem a little out of reach right now, at some point in the future the best overseas place to visit, is the place over all of the seas. At the moment, if you want to visit the moon then you had better have one hundred thousand million US dollars. Still, who can say they never have looked up into the night sky and wished to step onto the surface of the moon? Hopefully at some point in our lifetimes, we can all have this chance. To walk on the surface of the moon, where only a handful of people have ever walked before, in zero gravity, there is nothing quite like it. Travelling interstate or overseas will never compare to interstellar travel, which will make our holiday decisions even tougher.
The more we travel the harder our decisions become and we would have to spend all year on holidays just to see everything. So, no matter where you go for your holiday, there is something to make your jaw drop. Whether looking back into history to looking forward, or travelling through space, holidays will always inspire us and change our outlooks.
I'd like to cast a vote for South America. I visited Argentina last year and loved every minute of it - from Buenos Aires to the incredible Iguazu Falls. Now I just need the opportunity (and the money - sigh!) to visit some other South American countries.