Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
Home > Perth > Comments > National Haircut Week 2012: Donate Your Hair to Women With Cancer
Your Reply
Optional Image: (jpg or gif)
Your Email:

Security Image:
ztotdg
Security Text:
copy text from image above
Highlighted
minimum score: order: subscribe:
I think its a great idea, HOWEVER, about 12 years ago, I worked somewhere and 3 of the women shaved their hair for cancer. Would you believe, two weeks after they did that we, (including 2 of these women) were made redundant. I don't know about you, but it may be very hard to get a job in the customer sales area with a bald head.
I think this is a noble cause, but think carefully before you make this big decision
by marga85 (score: 1|60) 3869 days ago
by Jennifer Muirhead (score: 3), 3867 days ago
I wouldn't have thought donating your hair meant shaving your head, just cutting it short. Having short hair (like, say, a pixie cut) shouldn't affect your ability to find work at all since it's been pretty common for women to have short hair for many decades.
by marga85 (score: 1), 3869 days ago
I may have given you the impression that they were made redundant because they chose to shave their hair. It was a co-incidence. There were 20 people were made redundant at the same time. The company decided to do away with a certain level of employees. (Not executive level, just senior consultants)
I was just suggesting that ladies think before they do this as it may effect their employment prospects.
Don't get me wrong, it's very honourable to do this.
by cathe (score: 1), 3869 days ago
I think these days if u were made redundant without a serious reason, you would have grounds for unfair dismissal. Lets hope this was not the reason these ladies were let go.