The last thing mum wants when she knows you're struggling financially, is to go and spend money you don't have on a Mother's Day gift. What does she want? Mum just wants to feel loved and appreciated, it really is the thought that counts. If you're not cashed up at the moment, here are some low budget gift ideas:
1. Write mum a poem, present it on a hand made card with a bunch of flowers that you've either purchased (affordable flowers sold at markets), or picked from around your neighbourhood.
2.Cook her a meal; either at her house where she can relax while you cook and clean up, or invite her over to your place for a meal. Either way, she's relieved of the responsibility for cooking and cleaning which is a great gift.
3. Pamper mum by giving her a massage and/or a hand and foot rub. Add in a facial if you feel you're up to it.
4. Organise a picnic in the park for the whole family, ask everyone (except mum) to bring the food and drinks. Enjoy a low budget meal in a beautiful setting in the company of your loved ones.
5. Get creative and make mum a gift - a painting or drawing. If she likes gardening buy a pot plant, or flower pot and paint it decoratively. A jewellery box if you're clever with wood.
6. Put together a gift basket - it doesn't have to be a big expensive basket, the gift is in the thought so buy a basket or gift box and arrange her favourite things in it - suggestions include bath salts, soaps, wine, champagne, chocolates/sweets/biscuits.
7. Take her out to a nice cafe for morning or afternoon tea. A cup of tea and a piece of cake won't break the budget, and if it does, make mum her favourite cakes or biscuits. Take it over to her house, make her a cuppa and have morning tea together.
8. Clean the house for her. Or mow the lawn, do some weeding or whatever gardening or odd jobs need doing around the house. All it will cost you is a bit of time and energy, and mum will love it.
9. Find a fabulous family photo and search the op shops for a nice frame to put it in. Alternatively make a photo collage, or purchase a gorgeous photo album or scrapbook and put together a family picture book.
10. Time. It costs you nothing and is one of mum's most desired gifts, the opportunity to spend quality time with her children. Even if it's just to chat, or sit in companionable silence, or watch a DVD together. I know it doesn't sound like much, but tell mum you'd like to come over and spend some time with her and she'll be over the moon.
A very happy Mother's Day to all the mums out there!