Mimi V a writer, social media manager, foodie, music lover, and mum, currently residing in Sydney with Mr V, two little Vs and doggy V.
Published October 22nd 2012
Easy lemon biscuits recipe
I recently found myself with an abundance of lemons, so I decided to whip up a batch or two of these delicious biscuits. They are quick and easy, and great to bake with kids (they'll love eating them too).
You will need 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature 100g caster sugar
1 large egg, preferably free-range or organic 200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting teaspoon baking powder a pinch of sea salt 2 lemons 3 tablespoons Demerara or raw sugar 1 or more willing children
• Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and caster sugar together in a bowl until creamy
• Crack in the egg, then beat again until the mixture is light and fluffy
• Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the bowl TIP: If you're lazy or harassed, as I often am, you can combine these three steps and the recipe will still work.
Preparing the lemons, toddler style
• Finely grate in the zest of the lemons
• Mix with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together – the dough will still be quite wet at this stage, it will really firm up in the fridge
• Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to let it firm up TIP: You can use this time to start the clean up operation, and save time at the end of the process, or you can use it to put your feet up and have a break (good luck with either if there are kids around)
• Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4
• Line a large baking tray with baking paper
• Lightly dust a work surface and your rolling pin with flour
• Roll out the dough until ½cm thick
• Use cookie cutters to cut out shapes, then place them on your lined tray TIP: Kids will love this step – it might be a struggle actually getting the biscuits in the oven
• Sprinkle with demerara or raw sugar and bake for around 12 minutes until the edges are light brown TIP: Do not skip this step – I found out the hard way that the sugar helps the biscuits brown (you can just about get away with using caster sugar instead of brown sugar though)
• Transfer to a wire rack to cool or transfer to a child to be eaten