Whether you're into photography, simple living, healthy eating, or discovering more about your local region, blogs offer something for almost everyone. Here are five blogs that are worth having a look at, created by writers and photographers based in the Geelong and Bellarine region.
Image courtesy of Clare at 'The Life of Clare'
1. The Life of Clare Clare is a well-known blogger from the coastal town of Portarlington, on the Bellarine Peninsula.
She started blogging in 2012 and has written about motherhood and family life, self sufficiency, sourcing local produce, the process of building her house and waste reduction. Her blog also contains reviews of restaurants and cafes across the Bellarine Peninsula, and is packed full of a range of recipes, including home-made tomato sauce, sweet lemon scrolls, turkish bread and chocolate beetroot cake.
Clare also has a free e-cookbook available for readers, which contains the most popular recipes from her blog, including Vegetarian Sausage Rolls and Feta, Beetroot and Spinach tart.
Recommended for those who are interested in self-sufficiency, simple living, and reading about the local restaurants, markets and areas around the beautiful town of Portarlington.
'Canola Sunrise, Ocean Grove' (Image courtesy of Pete James)
2. Pete James photography Many locals probably recognise Pete's work from seeing it in the paper or online, most recently the photos of the Aurora Australis in early November. His website and Instagram pages contain some breathtaking photos of the Bellarine Peninsula and surrounds and his photos of the storms are amazing. Many of Pete's photos are available to buy as prints, and he also runs workshops for those interested in learning about landscape photography.
Recommended for those who want to see the beauty of the region captured across a range of weather and lighting conditions.
Photo Courtesy of Karah McLaren
3. Karah McLaren Naturopath Karah is a qualified Naturopath who conducts consultations with clients in Ocean Grove, Geelong and the Melbourne CBD. Her blog contains some great blog posts about various topics, including her three rules for healthy eating, and how to boost your good gut bacteria without taking a supplement. She also has a section with recipes for healthy smoothies, breakfasts and treats. Her Instagram page is also a fantastic resource for those looking for healthy eating inspiration, and contains bright, beautiful photos and useful tips and advice about healthy eating.
Recommended for those who are looking for some healthy eating inspiration.
Instant coffee made by myself. If you're looking for a better-looking cup of coffee then head to the Geelong coffee blog.
4. Geelong Coffee If you're a coffee-lover who's looking for the best places in the Geelong and Bellarine region to grab a cup (and the places to avoid!), then you'll love the Geelong Coffee website. Chris' (the pseudonym of the reviewer) has written over 100 reviews of coffee in the Geelong, Bellarine and Surf-Coast regions, so that you can find the best cup in the region.
Recommended for those who sigh every time they see the huge tin of International Roast sitting in their workplace tea room.
Mama Geelong has reviews of parks and playgrounds in the Geelong region
5. Mama Geelong Mama Geelong is a blog written by a group of mothers from the Geelong region. It's a wonderful resource for parents (both local, and those visiting the region) and contains reviews of kid-friendly restaurants and cafes, suggestions for family outings and day trips, blog posts about parks and playgrounds and interviews with mothers who live and work in the region.
Recommended for those who have children and are looking for ideas on what to do in the Geelong and Bellarine region.
Do you read any of these blogs? Or do you follow any other blogs from Geelong or Bellarine-based writers? Feel free to add them below.