Subscribe      List an Event or Business      Invite a Writer      Write for WN      Writers      Other Locations
Home > Adelaide > Comments > City Steam Biscuit Factory
Your Reply
Optional Image: (jpg or gif)
Your Email:

Security Image:
idanrd
Security Text:
copy text from image above
Highlighted
minimum score: order: subscribe:
I found this article after unfortunately being put up in the new "OAKS" soleless hotel by my work- the one causing destruction and being intrigued by the fercade of a red brick building next door. A man working there told me story of Balfours and I was really sad (so was he) about its destruction. I live in a place with hardly any old 'European' buildings (in Darwin) and I love visiting other cities that have so many. It seems that those now have no respect for the stories they hold of their, or some-one's ancestors and the start of the story of a different Australia. Unfortunately everyone is deluded by the capitalist system and not valuing culture, history, the environment and happiness. ANyway I understand that towns need to grow, but incorporating a little of the old building or holding some of the remnant history in the building to be built would at least be tokenly respectful- but there is nothing, not old photos, etc. I would love to learn more about societies/ section of the council that are trying to reserve old building- they seem to dissapearing and the uniqueness of the city falling away- as you said you kind shiny badly built buildings everywhere- you can never replace Victorian buildings- elsewhere old factories make awesome new merged building which hold cafes/ art studios etc, but it seems not here. Plese feel ree to forward this on to the tourism minister or anyone that might give a shit
by green (score: 0|8) 3238 days ago
by Dave Walsh (score: 4), 3238 days ago
Thanks for your feedback, it's great to hear from someone else who understands the need to conserve our heritage while we continue to develop the city.