A freelance writer living in Perth, WA. My blog is coming soon. Watch this space!
Published February 15th 2012
We have an absolutely brilliant climate in Western Australia and because of this we love the great outdoors. Whether we like spending time at the beach or in the backyard we are lucky enough to have near perfect weather so we can spend as much time outside as we like. One great outdoor activity for the whole family is going to an outdoor cinema and here in WA we have a few to choose from.
Going to an outdoor cinema is the perfect way to spend a warm summer evening. Relax and enjoy watching a movie with family or friends, pack a picnic, drag out the old picnic rug, beach chairs or beanbags and venture out to one of the many outdoor cinema venues around Perth.
Saturday, 14th of December @ 08:30am - $99 - 3 places left
1. Bankwest Movies By Burswood is situated right on the Swan River foreshore and right next to the Burswood Entertainment Complex. This outdoor cinema has been a favourite for many years and is run in support of a number of children's charities. Fun for the whole family, you can take a picnic and all your gear along and enjoy an assortment of great movies. This cinema offers chair, beanbag or rug hire if you don't feel like taking your own stuff with you. The season runs every night, gates open at 6.30pm and the movie screens at 8pm.
2. Bankwest Movies by Burswood has a second outdoor cinema venue at BIC Reserve on Guildford Road in Bassendean. Pack a picnic, bring along a rug, relax and enjoy a movie under the stars. This venue is fully licenced and offers a variety of foods and drinks to enjoy during your evening. The season runs every Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, gates open at 6.30pm and the movie screens at 8pm.
3. The outdoor cinema at Somerville Auditorium on the grounds of The University of Western Australia is a very large venue and can seat 1000 people in deckchairs. It also has a grassy area which can accommodate another 200 people. If you like, you can take along a picnic to enjoy, on the grassy area, and then grab a seat before the movie starts. The Somerville Auditorium is licenced and has a bar, they also have some dinner options, snacks, ice creams and coffee available.
4. The Camelot Outdoor Cinema in Mosman Park is a smaller, more intimate cinema. Held on the first Wednesday of every month, the evening also incorporates some jazz entertainment. Bring along a picnic or sample a wood-fired pizza from the pizza bar, cooked while you wait. There are also chocolates, lollies and ice creams available. This is a licenced venue so there is no BYO alcohol permitted but you can buy beer, wine or soft drinks from the bar.
5. Ford Focus Moonlight Cinema is held in the Synergy Parkland at Kings Park Botanic Garden. This outdoor cinema offers a relaxing night out with family and friends and shows a range of classic, cult and new movies. Bring along a picnic or you can buy light snacks, ice creams and drinks at the venue. This venue is not licenced and is non-smoking.
For further details and a full list of the movies scheduled at any of these venues visit the website.
So if you're looking for something different to do on a warm summer evening why not visit an outdoor cinema near you and enjoy a relaxing evening out watching a great movie under the stars?