The ANZAC tradition, honouring courage, endurance and mateship was established on 25 April 1915 when the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps landed on the Gallipoli Peninsula. It was the start of a campaign that lasted 8 months and resulted in some 25,000 Australian casualties, including 8,700 who were killed or died of wounds or disease.
The brave men who served on the Gallipoli Peninsula added the word 'ANZAC' to the Australian and New Zealand vocabularies and creating the notion of "ANZAC spirit".
Bentleigh RSL - 538 Centre Rd, Bentleigh
10.15am - March starts in the carpark and heads to Hodgson Reserve for a service, followed by morning tea at Bentleigh RSL
Beaumaris RSL - Reserve Rd Beaumaris
2.30pm - Service at Beaumaris Community Centre Forecourt
Tuesday 25 April
Highett RSL - 1 Station St, Highett
5.45am - March from the corner of Highett Rd and Station Street
6.00am - Service at Highett RSL
10.00am - Two-up commences
Hampton RSL - 25 Holyrood St, Hampton
6.00am - March starting on Hardie St to the Cenotaph for a service, followed by a cooked breakfast (gold coin donation)
Caulfield RSL - 4 St Georges Rd, Elsternwick
6.45am - Dawn Service followed by a gun fire breakfast (gold coin donation)
11.00am - Kids activities until 3pm
12.00pm - Two-up commences
3.00pm - Live music
3.20pm - AFL in the bistro
How about making up a batch of delicious ANZAC biscuits to enjoy on the day? Try this easy recipe:
Delicious ANZAC biscuits
1 cup plain flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup coconut
125 g butter
2 tbs golden syrup
1 tbs water
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1. Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the sugar, rolled oats and coconut.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the golden syrup and water. Stir in the bicarb of soda
3. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
4. Place walnut-sized balls of mixture on a greased tray and bake at 175C for 15-20 minutes.
5. Allow to cool - they will harden.
*The Ode comes from For the Fallen, a poem by the English poet and writer Laurence Binyon and was published in London in 1914.